Speaking with Confidence & Credibility in the Workplace
'Power Speech: Presentation Skills' is a comprehensive course that gives you the speaking edge. The course is designed to enhance your ability to speak with confidence during presentations and meetings. Areas of focus include effective presentation design, interacting with the listener and dealing with nervousness.
Course Duration: Two days
Unit 1: Communication Foundations: How to Begin
Reaching the listener/audience is the first step towards effective communication.
- Profiling the listener/audience: understanding needs, perceptions and biases, using the correct language
- Appealing to the listener/audience: how to make an impact
- Active Listening: Reflective and Interpretive
- Conversational Structures: speaking your colleagues' and the customer's language
- Assignment 1: Profiling your audience
Unit 2: Preparing your Message
Planning your message is fundamental for success.
- Design and structure of the Core Message
- Ten 'can't miss' Opening Strategies
- Using Transitions
- Essential elements of a strong conclusion
- Using visual aids
- Managing time
- Assignment 2: Planning a workplace-related presentation
Unit 3: Understanding Body Language, Voice & Speech
Body language is an effective tool in making good first impressions.
- Understanding communication
- Positive body language: your image and understanding the signals sent by others
- What body language can do for you: eye contact, posture, gestures, movement and dress
- Barriers to communication
- Aspects of Voice and Speech
- Assignment 3: Analysis of video clips
Unit 4: Powerful Speakers
Analyse the professionals and draw your own conclusions.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of well-known speakers
- Six major speaking faults
- Techniques to maintain audience interest
- Assignment 4: Evaluating speakers according to specific criteria
Unit 5: The Speaker in Action
A practical presentation session.
- Implementing newly learned skills
- Developing your own style
- Assignment 5: Workplace-related presentation
Unit 6: The Art of Persuasion
Learn how to convince your listener
- Identifying persuasive 'speech'
- Understanding the effects of persuasive language
- Assignment 6: Video clip analysis - identifying and evaluating the effects of persuasive language
Unit 7: Interacting Successfully
Techniques to manage your relationships with the listener/audience.
- Speaking with confidence and appropriacy
- Maintaining positive relationships
- Questioning skills
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Summarising and drawing conclusions
- Developing sensitivity to the listener: identifying and working with different personalities and cultures, encouraging participation and accountability
- Assignment 7: Evaluating feedback role play
Unit 8: Participating with Confidence
Gain the confidence to share your views.
- Participating in formal and informal meetings
- Managing discussions and debates
- Assignment 8: Meeting simulation
Unit 9: The Speaker in Action
The best speakers are passionate about their topics - make your enthusiasm contagious.
- Enthusiasm and establishing rapport
- Build on your strengths
- Assignment 9: Presentation
Ingwe Corporate Training is an accredited provider with the Services SETA (SETQAA Decision number 1994). 'Power Speech: Presentation Skills' is a SETA accredited course and is aligned to the unit standard 119472 'Accommodate audience & context needs in oral/signed communication', NQF level 3, 5 credits. Learners are able to complete the summative assessment at the end of the course, and if deemed competent, earn NQF credits.